Emily Best is founder and CEO of Seed & Spark, a kinda sorta crowdfunding platform for filmmakers, but it’s much cooler than that. Instead of just asking for money, filmmakers can ask for… stuff! Like props and makeup and locations. (Money too, of course.)
Listen to hear how Emily went from wannabe doctor to Jazz musician to filmmaker to creating an entire film platform.
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyBest
A lot of interesting stuff came up in the interview. Here are a few links:
- Like the Water, the movie Emily produced and which spurred the creation of Seed & Spark
- Jay Ogilvy, the creator of scenario planning for vision and values
- The indie film white paper which came out of a scenario planning organized by Emily
- Ben Casnocha’s lesson about values learned from working with Reid Hoffman
- The Gamergate controversy
- Mark and Jay Duplass, producers of the HBO show Togetherness
- Caitlin Fitzgerald, star of Masters of Sex and one of the co-creators of Like the Water
- The Bechdel test for gender bias in the narrative arts
PS: Rather than commenting here, please give Semi-Random Walks a review on iTunes.
You can also give me more detailed feedback by completing this short listener survey.